Did You Know?

Judge Robert D. Bailey, Sr., (1883–1961) former Judge, was a Pineville resident


About Us

Pineville was settled by William Short in 1853. In 1863, Hiram Clay first settled near the site of present Pineville. The community was once called Castlerock, and the post office there was once named Rock Castle. The town was renamed Pineville for the local pine forest and incorporated as a town under that name in 1907. It was named because it was built on the site of a black or pitch pine forest. It became county seat in 1907, replacing Oceana after a series of disputed elections.
 
As of the 2010 Census, there were 668 people with the Pineville City Limits. The median age was 49.4 years.  17.4% of residents were under the age of 18.  6.6% were between the ages of 18 & 24. 21% were from 25-44.  30.8% were from 45-64.  24% were 65 & older.
 
Castle Rock is a geological feature located in Pineville, West Virginia next to the Pineville Public Library.  Named for its resemblance to a castle, it rises about 200 feet above Rock Castle Creek, a branch of the Guyandotte River. Its base is estimated to be 100 feet in diameter. Midway up there is a stone terrace, with a narrower shale formation rising out of it. The shale formation is approximately 20.23 feet in diameter at its base, and between 25 to 30 feet at the top. The formation of Castle Rock began about two hundred million years ago. Over time water eroded a way the surrounding rock creating its unique shape. Castle Rock was known to early explores of the area simply as the "castle". At one time ladders provided access to the top of the rock, but they were removed in 1911, after a man named Virgil Senter fell to his death.[3] Steps and hand rails leading to the terrace were added later. In 2001 a sign explaining how the rock was formed was placed in front of Castle Rock.
 
The Wyoming County courthouse is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Privacy, Security and Accessibility | WV.gov | USA.gov | © 2018 State of West Virginia